1) Pay the Participation Donation asked from each student for each sport played.
2) Volunteer to be Team Parent - be the primary contact between the coach and the rest of the team parents, and help the coach collect contact information. You can make sure someone is taking responsibility for all the jobs that need to be done for the team.
3) Offer to help collect funds for uniforms, etc. from each athlete. Please see the Sample Team Fundraising Form. Helping to collect the voluntary participation fee is important--this is the sole source of funding for Gunn's Athletic Department.
4) Coordinate transportation-Each coach and team arrange their own transportation. Some teams are large enough to require buses (e.g., football, track and field) but district buses are often too expensive for smaller teams ($300-$400 per game). Options include borrowing a district van (which must be driven by a coach), or arranging parent carpools for games. Parent drivers must have insurance information on file in the Gunn Main Office. Student athletes are NOT allowed to drive other athletes to a game.
5) Volunteer to be the Sports Booster Liaison/Fundraising Coordinator. Find out if your team has upcoming equipment or uniform needs, and look into fundraising opportunities. Come to Sports Boosters meetings. Meetings are generally held on the third Wednesday of the month, at 6pm. Check the Sports Boosters Website or the Gunn Connection for details.
6) Volunteer to help the coach take inventory of current uniforms and equipment, and see if anything needs to be ordered (See Sample Team Fundraising Form)
7) Volunteer to report game results - to the Sports Boosters VP Communications, Miriam Rotman, compiles a summary of sports news for the Gunn Connection. Also, report Varsity team results to the local papers: San Jose Mercury News, Palo Alto Weekly, and Palo Alto Daily. Their current contact person can usually be found on the website.
8) Offer to be scorekeeper
8) Help collect Gunn uniforms and equipment at the end of the season. The cost of replacing items that are simply not returned is a waste of our limited resources.
9) Organize end-of-season party